Thursday, December 8, 2011

Michael Watson wants to light the Olympic flame

Former super-middleweight boxer Michael Watson wants to take another inspirational step in his recovery by lighting the Olympic flame at next year's London Olympic Games.


Michael WatsonTwo decades have passed since the night a 26-year-old Watson was paralysed after his infamous second fight against Chris Eubank at White Hart Lane on 21 September 1991.

"Everywhere I go I want to inspire people and young teenagers," says Watson, now 46 and still partially paralysed. I want to play a role in the 2012 Olympics."
"I still go the boxing gym - that's my home, working on the punching pads - and do some training. I love to keep active and training will always be part of my life"
"A lot of people still think that I'm in a wheelchair. They think I'm bed-ridden, they don't even believe it's me. I looked death in the face. People said Michael Watson would not survive, they said I would become a cabbage, but I can think for myself, I can walk and talk."
"If the public see Michael Watson light the Olympic torch, they'll be astounded, because I should really be nothing, I should be bed-bound."
"I think that my involvement in the Olympics will inspire everyone as they will see that, if you are positive, you will succeed against all the odds. I want them to look at me and see how I overcame difficulties and remained positive."

R.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment